Thursday, November 10, 2016

What is Wrong?

With palms together,


Last night I was invited to attend a vigil of sorts regarding the outcome of the presidential election. I am thanking that I was invited.  Unfortunately,  as I had another commitment I was only able to slip into the circle for a few minutes. The fallout of this election has been emotionally draining on many of us. I have had many contacts, especially on my Facebook page, expressing fear, sadness, and deep concern.  At the event last night I felt many of the participants were suffering.  Tears were not uncommon.  And though we face a challenging future, please let us remind ourselves in the greater scheme of things this is not so large.  Our feelings are just feelings and our thoughts just thoughts.  We have each, I am sure, experienced deep sadness and even fear in the past and survived.  What’s important, it seems to me, is that we do not allow this to sideline us in the work that we do, but rather, allow it to motivate us to address issues directly.  

One area I believe important is investigating the motivations behind so many Americans voting the way they did.  Its easy, I think, to blame it on racism or sexism, too easy.  There must be something else under the surface that we are missing.  What is it about a “liberal” or “progressive” viewpoint that is so toxic to this population?  How might we encourage those who voted for Mr. Trump to look more deeply?  


My sense is, just like many of us, they are motivated by fear.  How do we address fear within our nation, in our communities or even within our families? Does it help to protest?  Does protest assuage fear? I’m concerned that the protests that arise only serve to deepen the fear and make us more and more suspect in the hearts of those we want to reach. Would it be a good idea for us as concerned citizens and clergy to have a community discussion on such things?  My apologies for going on and on.  These are just some thoughts that arose after last night.  

May we each be a blessing in the universe.
 
Daiho

No comments:

Featured Post

The First Bodhisattva Vow

With palms together, On the First Bodhisattva Vow: "Being are numberless, I vow to free them." The Budd...