Sunday, June 08, 2008

Daily Living

With palms together,
Good Morning Everyone,

This morning I plan to ride my Diamondback with my son, Jacob, in Old Mesilla. We try to get in a longish ride on Sundays. Sometimes it works out; sometimes it doesn't. No matter, the experience of being with my son is enough.

We often look to the activity rather than the company. Sometimes this is necessary, as with training in Zen or training in running. When we train our focus is on our ability within the activity. Yet, we often do these things with others. On long slow days, such as these Sunday rides, the focus can shift from the activity to the person. I enjoy this allowance.

Most of the time, though, training is about training and the key element in training is disciplined focus.

When we practice zazen, we sit upright and gather ourselves together in the moment. All of our attention is on the boundaries of our consciousness: our thoughts, our feelings, our sensations. Notice, let go; notice, let go; notice, let go.

Just so with other training. Running, I notice My Left Foot as the toe drags. I pick it up and let the thought go. In biking, I notice my breath and the cycle of the peddles, lift, press, lift, press, etc. In weights, I notice the contraction of muscle, the balance of my core muscles as they balance my body under the weight.

In all activities through the day we can place our attention on these boundaries of interconnection.

Let's practice together.

Be well.

1 comment:

SH -ic said...

godd morning Mr Hilly .. i can follow your wordds by rembering this aiititude walking with the dog .. ton have the attention into the surroundings at him at me and than it makes a circle..
and we walk .. keep well

Featured Post

The First Bodhisattva Vow

With palms together, On the First Bodhisattva Vow: "Being are numberless, I vow to free them." The Budd...