Sunday, July 12, 2009

Obon

With palms together,
Good Evening Everyone,

We just concluded sesshin. Revs. KoKyo and Kajo are now priests in our lineage, and Rev. KoMyo is a Disciple. Obon is a particularly inspiring time. We practice to offer any merit derived from our compassionate practice to all of the universe, especially those suffering from greed, and excessive attachment to things. We think of these beings as Hungry Ghosts. Tenzo Jacob created sweet-cakes, Rev. KoMyo wrapped them, and this morning each of us took up a cake, carefully unfolded it, and offered it to the universe. We were all moved by this experience of generosity and deep caring.

As Zen Buddhists we practice not for our benefit but for the benefit of all beings. We chant, "beings are numberless, I vow to free them." So our lives are a commitment to be in service to others. To practice Zazen is to study the self, Master Dogen says, and as the self drops away we are open to be taught by all beings. So, our service is always a learning experience.

My experience is ants teach me to be careful as I walk; bees teach me to be careful in the woods; flies teach me to be patient and humble as I sit in public spaces and offer them a face to scamper over. In the end,of course, there are no ants, no bees, to flies, no me: and so what remains?

Rev. KoMyo this morning offered a Dharma talk based on a teaching by my Dharma Grandfather, Rev. Dr. Soyu Matsuoka-roshi. The teaching was a teisho offered by Roshi for Obon on July 14, 1963. Matsuoka-roshi had a fondness for this particular holiday, as does my Teacher Hogaku McGuire-roshi. I have found myself drawn to this holiday as well. Matsuoka taught what remains is how we treat each other, even those we have issues with. He taught that "Zen is a way of action that urges us deeds of compassion and a life whose time has been put to good use." (The Kyosaku, pp. 77-80) It is a compassionate teaching and resonated deeply with me.

May we each practice as blessings in the universe.

No comments:

Featured Post

The First Bodhisattva Vow

With palms together, On the First Bodhisattva Vow: "Being are numberless, I vow to free them." The Budd...