Monday, November 29, 2010

What's Important?

With palms together


Good Morning Everyone,



This morning I am to speak in front of a college class on the topic of Buddhism. This is always a pleasure, but a curiously challenging one. How does one communicate what Buddhism is? Typically I begin with the story of his enlightenment and this might be apropos as we are close to Rohatsu. Then I address the different flavors of Buddhism, finally arriving at the core practices. I am careful to say that Buddhism is really not an “-ism” as it has no theology, philosophy, or dogma, although some argue this point. Any “-ism” that arises, arises from an individual’s own understanding from practice and study and not a doctrinal overly. This whole exposure has a 50-minute frame.



So, I do the best I can and try to be as personable as possible.



This last point seems to me to be the most important, yet often overlooked. Teachers need to know that it is not their words that are so much important as their posture. Are we open? Are we joyful? Are we centered? Do we walk in our own authority and not wobble? Do we manifest the six paramitas: generosity, morality, patience, vigor, meditation, and wisdom?



It is most often the person that is recalled, not the teaching. Or better said, the person is the teaching.



Note: No Zen in the park this morning.



Be well.

1 comment:

Koan Resuelto said...

Thanks a lot for your teachings...

|\

Featured Post

The First Bodhisattva Vow

With palms together, On the First Bodhisattva Vow: "Being are numberless, I vow to free them." The Budd...