Saturday, April 16, 2011

On Zen

With palms together,


Good Morning Everyone,



Zen is Zen. It is not American, Asian, or European. It is the authentic practice of the buddhas and ancestors. No one, not one group, organization, temple, body of experts, blogger, website, web directory or nation has the authority to determine the authenticity of a lineage. Only our practice itself does that. Let me be clear (and maybe just a tad radical here): it is our practice, not our thoughts, feelings or pedigree that determines our authenticity in Zen.



Zen is alive. It is the living manifestation of the buddha-dharma. Authenticity is revealed in Zen’s practice, not in a piece of paper, chop, whisk, or shaved head. The questions, “where’s my mind?” in my activity, “who am I?” through in each moment, and “what is my next step?” as I encounter the world are fundamental questions and how I manifest their answers determines my authenticity.



My Teacher and his Teacher before him gave me a great gift: the opportunity to practice the dharma, to bring the dharma into the world, and to share it with others. I have steadfastly done that over the last nearly fifteen years I have been authorized to teach in my lineage. This gift is precious. So I take great offense at those in the Zen world who feel they are in a position to determine the authenticity of my practice, my teaching, or my lineage on the basis of anything other than its practice itself. To do this, they must know me, see me, experience my practice.



Rev. Dr. Soyu Matsuoka-roshi has two living Dharma heirs who have steadfastly practiced and taught the dharma: Rev. Michael Taiun Elliston-sensei and Rev. Ken Hogaku ShoZen McGuire-roshi. One on the East coast, one on the west coast. Both of these teachers have established Temples or Zen Centers, taught and sanctioned dharma heirs. As in other lineages, dharma heirs differ in temperament, personality, and style. They also differ in how they perceive and manifest their mission as dharma teachers. One is not better, more authentic, higher or lower than the other. Both have lived the dharma and manifested the transmission of mind. As I see it, this is the only real and honest test of authenticity.



Comments have been made about the legitimacy of Matsuoka’s heirs and typically, one of these two heirs is considered “recognized” whereas the other is questioned or given short shrift. This effort damages Matsuoka, his lineage, and consequently his heirs. Is Hogaku’s silent, less in your face, practice any less “authentic” than Taiun’s larger, more publis effort? Does the fact that Hogaku has had a small temple and daily practice for over forty years not count? Hogaku is reticent about putting himself “out there.” Given the opportunity, Hogaku dresses in his purple robes, but he easily and quickly removes them, more comfortable he is in a t-shirt and western jeans. He does not write, he does not promote himself, he simply practices Zen on a daily, moment to moment basis in his woodshop, in his Zendo, and in his student’s hearts.



The seventh grave precept suggests we not elevate ourselves above others at their expense. We should honor this, and in the process, go about the business of bringing the dharma into the world.



Be well.

No comments:

Featured Post

The First Bodhisattva Vow

With palms together, On the First Bodhisattva Vow: "Being are numberless, I vow to free them." The Budd...