Sunday, June 26, 2011

June 26,2011

With palms together,

Good Morning Everyone,



This morning I want to address some rather serious business: our relationship with the greater Zen world. My mission is to bring the correct Dharma into the world. This was Master Dogen’s mission, and it is the mission of all the Buddhas and Ancestors throughout history. This mission has been my life since taking Jukai in 1998. Our Order is growing both in its membership and its public profile. In tandem with this growth is a growing movement in the greater Zen world to create bodies which help seekers determine the authenticity of Zen Teachers and their Centers. And while I personally abhor such bodies, I understand their importance as it is possible for anyone to order a Buddhist robe, print a certificate and call themselves Zen priests.



Our Dharma Grandfather, Matsuoka-roshi, did not register his priests at Soto headquarters in Japan, he streamlined and collapsed much of the ceremonials, rites, and rituals, and made Zen practice centers much more “American” in feel. While this was in keeping with many of the early Japanese Soto priests who came to the United States to teach, few did it as effectively. Moreover, after these early Masters died, second and third generation Zen teachers, not fully matured (in my opinion) relied on Japan for guidance and sanctioning of their lineages. Matsuoka’s line did not to this, but with one exception, Taiun Elliston-sensei, from the Atlanta Soto Zen Center. Taiun has completed formal Dharma Transmission from Okamura-roshi and is now recognized by Soto Shu as a fully transmitted Zen priest in the Soto lineage.



Recently, I have made application to the American Zen Teachers Association. I have had a number of chats with one of its Board Members, James Ford, and at his suggestion, made application. He then suggested I contact Michael Taiun Elliston-sensei from the Atlanta Soto Zen Center.



Taiun and I have had several Skype interviews. At this point, I am seriously considering stepping onto that transmission path with him. This effort would decidedly not be for me, but rather, it would to legitimize our Order (both its priests and lay members).



Such a path would mean some great degree of hardship and I would need the support of this Sangha, its priests, and my partner, Soku Shin to complete it. First, we would need to bring Taiun out here to meet and practice with us for a Sesshin. Second, I would need to go out there to practice a 90 day Ango (extended retreat) with his Center. There may be other requirements in terms of sewing, travel and hosting, but these would be the main elements.



Once I complete the practice requirements, and meet with the approval of Taiun, he would perform a Dharma Transmission Ceremony and I would be accepted by Soto Shu as a fully recognized transmitted priest. This would mean our Order would be among the recognized lineages of Soto Zen. We would then be considered part of the mainstream and no one would be able to question our legitimacy.





To explore this further, I will invite Taiun to join us here in Las Cruces in August for a five day Sesshin. The dates are not set, but I am writing to ask him this morning. With this visit, we will together explore the implications, requirements, and benefits of such a move. We will have to purchase a ticket for Taiun. We will host him at our home and have him visit both our Temple here in Las Cruces, and our Sangha in El Paso. I am asking for donations to support this initial visit. Please be as generous as you possibly can. Or if any of you have travel miles you would be willing to use to obtain a ticket, please let me know.





As to the American Zen Teachers Association application. I will have further discussion with board member James Ford in a few days and will keep you informed. Due to Matsuoka-roshi’s contentious relationship with Soto headquarters, his line is not held in high esteem by many of the “powers that be”. I am told I have less than a fifty-fifty chance at acceptance even with my background and our extensive practice, training, and experience.





I am willing to undergo this training process, but only if the Order and its members support it.





Please give me your feedback as soon as possible.







As to Moving!

We have moved into our new home. Well, we should say, we have put all of our stuff in the house. Moving in, actually moving in, will take some time. Still, the place is wonderful, large, spacious, and very uniquely Mexican. As we get things put away, we will take pictures and post them. We hope to have an Open House sometime soon. Thanks to all of those who made this possible.



A bow to all,

No comments:

Featured Post

The First Bodhisattva Vow

With palms together, On the First Bodhisattva Vow: "Being are numberless, I vow to free them." The Budd...