Sunday, October 23, 2011

Art


With palms together,
Good Morning Everyone,

Late this afternoon an artist friend invited a gallery owner to come to our house to view my paintings.  I am a bit embarrassed by this, but at the same time pleased.  I just do not know what to make of my work with paint.  Let me try to frame it this way. I know sometimes my painting simply erupts on the canvas. At other times
it takes great care and massaging to bring the image into focus. 
Maybe that is the artist’s way, I don’t know. What I do know:
I love color and soft, mushy lines.  I am less concerned with what something looks like
than what it feels like. Let me in and let me turn it over and over again… 
To quote a line in a film we watched yesterday afternoon, “Does it pull me in or does it repulse me?”  Hard edges do not pull me in, soft openings do. Mystery is good. 
Not knowing what is what is good. Not having the meaning written out in bold,
simple print is good.  Work that draws me in, makes me sweat, and struggle to get every juicy drop out of it is good. Art should be like love and nothing else.
Be well.

No comments:

Featured Post

The First Bodhisattva Vow

With palms together, On the First Bodhisattva Vow: "Being are numberless, I vow to free them." The Budd...