Saturday, October 26, 2019

Conversation

With palms together,
Good Afternoon Everyone,
It is late afternoon here in Las Cruces, New Mexico.  Our sky is sunny and its about 70 degrees F. A good day to be outside.  So, this morning after working some on our "water feature" I rode my Harley down to the Farmers Market and sat with my friend Randy Harris. We talked, once again, about time. A few others joined in.  It is fascinating how hungry people seem to be for a good conversation.
After returning home I finished our water feature and talked with my neighbor Luis. Luis will be moving soon; I will miss him.  He is from Venezuela, and sharp as a tack and filled with kindness and generosity.  We often talk over the stone wall that separates our yards.
Good conversation is easy.  One has simply to be open and inviting, listen, and respond as a human being. This seems so difficult today for most of us, I think.  It seems hard  just to get past the weather or sports or some other innocuous subject. What I have found though is if I introduce a topic that requires some reflection I either get an enthusiastic reponse or vacant eyes.
It has been said that a Master listens and speaks little.  I believe, however, that one must share oneself in a conversation.  Knowing we are each human beings with our own stories, shortcomings and virtues tends to disarm and encourage a degree of reciprocity.
Let us each not be afraid to talk to people; they are, afterall, everywhere! 
Be well,
Daiho

No comments:

Featured Post

The First Bodhisattva Vow

With palms together, On the First Bodhisattva Vow: "Being are numberless, I vow to free them." The Budd...