Saturday, September 30, 2006

A Single Step

With palms together,
Good Morning All,

There are always moments when we don't feel like doing what we are supposed to do. Small Mind whispers, "do it later, it'll be OK." Or, "you shouldn't have to do anything you don't want to do." Or, "its just one day, it won't matter."

These are the whispers which take us away from enlightened living. They help us keep our eyes closed. They keep us slothful, lazy, and ignorant.

Enlightened living is immediate, direct, diligent, and vigorous. We do because it is ours to do. And the whole universe is us so everything is our responsibility. So what is it we should do?

Understand a leader is by definition alone. Because you are there by yourself does not mean you are not making a difference. Become informed. The world needs informed individuals. Be willing to act. The world needs engaged human beings. Become fearless. The world needs people unafraid of what others might think. Become enlightened. The world needs decisive, non-wobbling Bodhisattva Warriors. The step is yours to take.

Be well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If I might borrow a term from my Christian friends ... AMEN!

Wonderful message today. I read three messages today, having been away from Internet access for a couple of days. This one, I think, I will contemplate after I finish zazen.

And by the way, thank you for the return of the individual headlines. It makes it so much easier to revisit a message (or direct a friend to one.)

Thanks again for your blog. When you practice zen in the middle of nowhere as I do, it helps to have your daily message to help focus things for me. I've also found it nice to refer to this blog when friends are curious about my beliefs -- you explain things so well!

Peace.

-- Steve

Featured Post

The First Bodhisattva Vow

With palms together, On the First Bodhisattva Vow: "Being are numberless, I vow to free them." The Budd...