Wednesday, December 22, 2010

No Sound

With palms together


Good Morning Everyone,



This morning I am awake to the sounds of silence. What sounds are those? The sound of no-sound. No-sound is the sound of presence. Just this, as it is, with nothing added.



No-sound, like no-seeing or no-thinking, is a serious challenge for us and so it is core to our practice.



When we walk and we think we are walking are we walking? Is this Zen in motion? Or is Zen in motion just walking? Consider this.



When I say I am awake to the sound of silence, to no-sound, it simply means there is no I in the “I am.” “I am” is nothing more or less than a fiction derived from language. How can this be? Where is the “I” in the sudden close-by crack of thunder? Practice no-sound. Practice no-I.



Be well.



A reminder: Tai Chi Chih today at 4:00, Zazen at 7:00 PM

No comments:

Featured Post

The First Bodhisattva Vow

With palms together, On the First Bodhisattva Vow: "Being are numberless, I vow to free them." The Budd...