Saturday, January 29, 2011

Zen in Motion

With palms together,


Good Morning Everyone,



So decadent, I am tying sitting in a tub full of hot soapy water. Actually, I am treating a bunion and two “corns” that have appeared on my feet of late. Painful, they are getting in the way of my training for the Bataan Death March at the end of March. I have already decided to take the short course, 15 miles is about all I can get up to between now and then, but even this is being threatened by these little toe tigers biting me.



On my runs/hikes lately, I have been practicing running meditation. The thing is to get into a rhythm of breathing, syncing breath with footfalls. Usually it comes to two steps with each in breath; two steps with each out breath, exception being running up hills.



The synchronicity is rather like a mantra.



Free to consider each new breath with a new view, a new thought, a new feeling, the miles fall away. This is one of the things I have missed about distance running and am so happy to be able to experience again, if not for a short time.



We were talking yesterday in our Zen Group about the impermanence of self, no-self, and the processes of awakening. Opening our dharma eye is not difficult, we just need to let go of ideas, control, and feelings. When peeling away self, know that each layer is the self and in the center, nothing: nothing and the peelings are one. This is the nature of the Absolute and the Relative. Both inter-are.



Each footfall, each breath, each thought, feeling, and other sensory perception is just as it is, Buddhanature in action.



Be well.

No comments:

Featured Post

The First Bodhisattva Vow

With palms together, On the First Bodhisattva Vow: "Being are numberless, I vow to free them." The Budd...