Friday, January 13, 2012

Notes and Feedback

With respect,




To those who replied to my earlier posts, thank you. To those who did not, I assume meeting on Sunday the 22 at 11:30 AM is acceptable. After talking with John and Kathi in California, I have made a few decisions. First, our mission is to bring the dharma into the world. Discussing and practicing are two methods of bringing this about. Sangha members need encouragement to practice whether it is the practice of zazen or the practice of hospice care or the practice of prison work. This encouragement comes through contact with others in the sangha and through the support of me, the abbot. Skype is a powerful tool in this process. Our Internet presence will stay.



Second, I have heard from several members that we should be doing more things, as I said in my earlier email. I agree. I am asking those who wish to do more to do more. It is up to you to make "more" happen. Please keep in mind we are a small sangha. Expectations should be scaled accordingly.



Third, our liturgy and how we do the liturgy is minimal. It is clean. It is clear. It is not overbrearing. I am unwilling at this point to add more. How things are done in other centers and temples is of little concern to me. How things are done in our Order is of the utmost importance to me. I am therefore asking each of you who come to zazen to pay attention. There is a way the priest enters the Zendo and approaches the altar. There is a way the incense is offered. Please be respectful, bow as the priest passes. If you are standing, please stand as close to the tan as possible so he/she may pass you as he/she approaches the altar and returns.



Rev. Kobusshin will be offering a class on the Heart of Wisdom Sutra beginning at 7:00 PM this coming Monday. Zazen is at 6:00 PM. These two periods are important training opportunities. Please try to attend.



Lastly, try to come to the Zendo ten minutes early. We will begin all zazen periods on time and if you are not at your seat we ask that you sit in the foyer until kinhin begins. Entering the zendo while the opening service is in progress or in the middle of a period of zazen is not acceptable.



Harvey Daiho Hilbert

No comments:

Featured Post

The First Bodhisattva Vow

With palms together, On the First Bodhisattva Vow: "Being are numberless, I vow to free them." The Budd...