Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Cleveland and the Snow

The Zen of Flying. Set yourself aside and allow others to be in control. Eat what is offered. Drink when possible. Seated in the tight seats of the aircraft, I cozied up to a copy of The Eight Gates of Zen by Daido Loori-roshi. I enjoy this book and admire the work he and his students have done to create an American monastic setting. At times I listened to my MP3 player, but mostly I read or sat Zazen in the seat. Judy knitted.

Arriving in Cleveland the ground was covered in snow and ice. It is in the low 20s heer and overcast. It is interesting how the weather can be so very different from one place to another. And how it seems reflected in the faces of those around you.

In the morning we drive deeper into the city and I will be staying in a home without a computer. I look forward to this adventure with daughter Sam. I told her I was scared to death at my defense. It was the truth. Maybe this helped. She is a dedicated researcher and an excellent student. I am sure she will do just fine.

As we were driving in from the airport and the car slid off the highway, she told me I had left an old mala in the car on the stick shift. She referred to them as "woory beads." "Here, take these." she offered. My face must have been a bit ashen. :)

Oh well, Cleveland in the winter. Been there, done that. Looking forward to no repeats.

Se ya!

No comments:

Featured Post

The First Bodhisattva Vow

With palms together, On the First Bodhisattva Vow: "Being are numberless, I vow to free them." The Budd...