Sunday, March 12, 2006

Interconnection

With palms together,
Good Morning Sangha,

As the sun rises and warms the desert, I am sipping hot green tea at the computer. My heart is still and I am opening my eyes to see you. We are each a part of this wonderful universe. Each necessary. Each vital. The universe cannot exist without us. As each thing has its causes and conditions, each thing is deeply interwoven in the fabric of space and time. Where does one begin and end? Truely? Seeds from parents are planted and arise producing seeds that are planted and arise and so on and so on. Small changes here and there, divergence, complexity, life.

So, as I type here and am aware of the keys touching electrical pads, sending pulses out through fiber optic cables, patterns abound, connect with other patterns, and there we are: a universe. We are one, here and now. As you read. As I move on through my day, and you yours. My message is with you and you are with me. We are together. A good thing.

If we live this way, how difficult to injure each other! How difficult to willingly cause harm! Be peace today. Be yourself.

Be well.

Request for dana:

Last night we watched a plea for assistance from St. Jude Children's Research Hospital in Memphis. I would urge anyone to support this work. A small thing for a very important task. The toll free number is: 1-800-785-9539. Call a make a small donation today.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, After about 10-15 minutes of zazen, I will usually start nodding off. Even if I manage to keep my eyes open, I will start having open eye dreams instead of being alert. I don't drink coffee but have been thinking of taking it up. any helpful suggestions for my problem?

Daiho Hilbert-Roshi said...

Hello Jeff, There are many causes of this. The most likely culpret is that you are allowing yourself to slouch and lose tension in your body. Zazen is not about relaxing and 'settling' down. Its about remaining awake and, as you say, alert. You might try sleeping more, getting some exercise, and not eating at least an hour or so before you sit. If you don't use caffeine, no reason to start. Instead, place your attention on your breath, count, and maintain a good, strong Zazen posture.

Be well.

Featured Post

The First Bodhisattva Vow

With palms together, On the First Bodhisattva Vow: "Being are numberless, I vow to free them." The Budd...