Saturday, March 04, 2006

Mindful Silence

With palms together,
Good Morning Sangha,

My suggestion for today is to spend the day in mindful silence. It is a good practice.

Speak only when spoken to in as limited and gentle way as possible. When we do this we are placing ourselves in the position of being open to our lives in a way that doesn't happen when we are busy with our minds and mouths.

Knowing that we are not speaking, we can listen more closely. Listening more closely enables a more intimate connection to be made to our world. It is in this intimacy that profound change occurs.

___

Due to lack of participants, today's Zazenkai at Zen Center is cancelled. Please remember we have our Hannamatsuri sesshin scheduled for the first Friday weekend of April.

Be well.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The practice of listening seemingly helps me to lose myself more and more. 11 close friends and I practiced it this weekend... it was quite hard. Thanks for the post my friend.

Daiho Hilbert-Roshi said...

Good Morning Reid, It is, isn't it. But the rewards are numerous.
Everytime I see your name I am reminded of a freind I had made while in the Army. He was a Special Forces officer. We met in OCS and he visited me in the hospital after I was wounded in Vietnam. His last name was Bradley. As was often the thing in the Army, I never knew his first name. Too bad. I would like to locate him today. Anyway, be well.

Anonymous said...

Greetings all sangha, closing the mouth and enjoying the moment free of preconception? Wonderful thing, get to appreciate all that exist. I just came across this site and was happy to see someone else advocating practicing Zen as opposed to just discussing it. Maybe Zen in America isn't stillborn. Practice like the wheels are coming off, Guy

Featured Post

The First Bodhisattva Vow

With palms together, On the First Bodhisattva Vow: "Being are numberless, I vow to free them." The Budd...