Thursday, June 01, 2006

Bearing Witness


With palms together,
Good Morning Sangha,

Bearing witness is a challenging practice. Many do not wish to see witnesses, few wish to be reminded of things past. Witnesses become our consciences and how many of us truly appreciate that voice in our ear? We assign motives to the witnesses, we can even grow to despise them. We confuse the witness with the event itself and akin to the messinger, want to kill the witness.

To bear witness under these conditions becomes a strength building practice and an important practice in itself.

Yesterday at the weekly Peace Vigil, I sat quietly on my cushion on the sidewalk. The sun was very hot and my robes offered protection from the burning rays, but also allowed the air under them to heat. Zen priest sauna.

I listened as the birds chatter in the trees of the courthouse courtyard. I listened to someone tell the story that earlier in the war, counter-protesters were across the street. One person set up a sign a few blocks away that read, "Terrorists Ahead, Fire at Will!"

The witness, in the end, must simply be present. Rather like being with a very sick person or someone who is dying. We are just present and that presence is, in itself, healing.

In this presence, however, our inclination is to want to 'do something' as if our mere presence as a witness is not enough. Resist this temptation. Listen to your mind as you are sitting as witness. Watch the mental flow, the feelings arise and fall, give them nothing.

When we witness this way we are most effective. We are just peace. We are just compassion. Nothing else.

Be well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks.

I needed that.

I used to be a better witness, but have become less so, especially over the years as I take on my role as father and husband. Around the house it seems that always action, if not directly required, is still expected to be displayed by me; I suppose to symbolize and assure everyone of my status as the man in charge.

I think I'd stopped questioning it. Where before I realized the wisdom of quiet witness, now more often, I jump up and begin trying to help before I even know what or why I should be doing anything at all.

Bad habit.

Peace,

-S

Featured Post

The First Bodhisattva Vow

With palms together, On the First Bodhisattva Vow: "Being are numberless, I vow to free them." The Budd...