Monday, August 24, 2009

Always

With palms together,
Good Morning Everyone,

The day, for me, is in full bloom, although it is overcast and the sun has barely shown itself. Rising early, getting things done, we appreciate moments to stop and just be present. I managed to do a 2 mile fast walk, a half mile run, and another 1.5 mile slow walk in the park this morning. Some time was spent with Jacob and My Little Honey, some Cheerios, and now here I am talking to you.

Today I will prepare for a lecture on "Kadosh" or Holiness. I will be presenting this lecture at Temple Beth El on Wednesday morning at 9:00 AM. Kadosh means many things, and holiness is not always the best way to understand it. As a contemplative Jewish practitioner and Zen Master, I practice to realize with, more often than not, what we call mochin d'gadlut, or "spacious mind". In Zen, the equivalent is "Big Mind". (A close friend and Social Work professor used to call this "Divergent Mind".) This is to say realizing the Infinite in me and the Infinite in you are One. Just so, the Infinite in me is the same as the Infinite in my coffee mug, or my carpet, or my dog. We are all one stuff manifesting is infinite process: one vast cosmic system.

To be holy is to be awake to this and to behave its truth. The commandments and stories in the Torah are fingers pointing to this Always Was/Always Am/Always Will Be moon. Just so, the sutras, the practices, and all the myriad dharma gates.

When we approach our moment to moment life this way, everything is divine avodah, everything is blessing, and everything is buddha-nature. The teaching? Touch your life in each of its moments with reverence.

No comments:

Featured Post

The First Bodhisattva Vow

With palms together, On the First Bodhisattva Vow: "Being are numberless, I vow to free them." The Budd...