Wednesday, May 09, 2012

Journal

With palms together,


Tuesday, 7:30 PM

My leg has been healing, but tires easily when asked to support my weight. Just now, after a long day mostly on my feet, it is screaming. I let it scream. Disciple Daishugyo gave me a collapsible cane. I will store it on top of one of my saddlebags. My bags are nearly packed, the Sportster is finally ready, and it is raining. A check of the weather east of here reveals storms arising. They seem to be heading east, so it is relatively safe to say I will remain behind them. I am ready to begin this journey and face what arises along the way.

Wednesday, 2:40 AM

Packing my bags, checking them twice. It’s important not to over pack. I learned a long time ago not to take too much. Most everything I will actually need, I will have packed, then reduced, as these may be purchased along the route if they are really needed. I am taking three changes of clothes, shaver, deodorant, toothpaste & brush, flashlight, mini binoculars, 2 disposable chemical ice packs, my meds, extra gallon sized Ziploc baggies, device chargers, light jacket, leather MC jacket, and vest. I am also taking my sleeping bag and ground cloth.

I have checked the driving weather forecast for Mesilla to San Antonio and it looks good. As I saw last night, the storms are in front of me moving east. I will have fresh air, washed by the rain, and warm temperatures. My plan is to ride five to six hours in a day at about 60-65 mph, stopping every hour or so for a walk break. It is important on trips like this not to be in any hurry at all.

Evening. Weather could not have been more wrong. It began a light rain outside of El Paso and gradually got worse. Rain, wind and cold took its toll on me. I stopped in Sierra Blanca, about a hundred miles inside the Great State of Texas, and I took refuge in a cheap motel. The heater is drying my clothes and helping my body recover. Maybe tomorrow will be better. Along the way I couldn’t help thinking this was a little over the top.

Doing this ride will be a challenge. Am I up for it? Zen requires no thought, we simply do.In this case one mile at a time.

No comments:

Featured Post

The First Bodhisattva Vow

With palms together, On the First Bodhisattva Vow: "Being are numberless, I vow to free them." The Budd...