Thursday, May 10, 2012

Journal


Wednesday, May 10, 2012

I pulled into Ozona, Texas hurting . The trek from Fort Stanton to Ozona was 108 miles. My body was aching from the morning side of the run in cold, overcast skies. Then the sun came out and this made all the difference. But, by this time I was already tense and my lower back and shoulders were on fire. Fun? Not! About twenty miles outside of Ozona, the overcast skies returned along with some rain and wet roads: tension returned.

Along the way I stopped for gasoline at a remote little store. A guy named Chris, sporting a skull-tee and jeans greeted me at the door (I am walking with a cane) and helped me in. I bought some aspirin and a cup of coffee. We sat outside on a stool he provided, and talked motorcycles. He was a genuine young man and spoke with love of machines. He pointed to his car and told me in detail all the work he had himself done. I was thoroughly impressed with his kindness. It made the misery of the rain and cold melt away. So far, everyone I have spoken to has been both curious and impressed with my ride. I put these words into the context that suggests America is a wonderful place filled with wonderful people…if we get to know them.

So, now, after writing this, chatting with Soku Shin and Disciple Dai Shugyo, and a hot bath, I am much revived. The weather looks better for tomorrow as I head to Lake Charles, LA.

No comments:

Featured Post

The First Bodhisattva Vow

With palms together, On the First Bodhisattva Vow: "Being are numberless, I vow to free them." The Budd...