Saturday, July 29, 2006

They Shoot Jews, Don't They?

With palms together,
Good Morning all,

Hate is a powerful poison. It fills us with such negative energy. It demands harmful action and evil behavior. The Buddha said that the antidote to hate was love. Only love will stop hate, yet loving those who would do us harm is so difficult.

Yesterday I had occasion to read several web logs from Muslims. The common theme seemed to be that Jews were not human. Then I read about the man who walked into a Jewish Federation Building, claimed he was a Muslim and shot six people including women.

Sometimes when confronted with such things, I remain silent. I take in the pain of the situation and let it sit with me. Rivers of feeling rush by. Irrational thoughts. Hurtful feelings. I remain silent.

In this silence I begin to understand that point of view is everything. Those who are oppressed, hungry, and powerless will hate those whom they perceive to be well-fed, powerful, and rich. No amount of sharing, goodwill gestures, or outreach will resolve such deep and powerful feelings.

In such cases and in such moments, my prayers must be directed toward myself. Recognizing my anger, I can recognize theirs. Recognizing my hate, I can recognize theirs. Recognizing my suffering, I can recognize theirs. It is through this recognition, that our humanity is actualized. For it is true that we can all hate, then it is equally true that we can all love. If it is true that we can all be anger, then it is equally true that we can all be peace.

So, we begin within ourselves and step outside. Honor your neighbor, love your enemy, and desire peace.

Be well.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you. I needed this.

Deb said...

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and sense of peace.. Mondays blog post 'Freedom" struck in particular. Blessings & peace to you!

Anonymous said...

we are in the middle of a horrible cycle of hate and violence in the middle east with no apparent way out. Israel will do what it has to do and that will probably mean the eventual use of nuclear weapons against her enemies. All of the countries involved seem to be playing out some ancient biblical karma that will probably result in their total destruction. I wish I had more hope for the region but the searing hatred of populace is overwhelming.

Featured Post

The First Bodhisattva Vow

With palms together, On the First Bodhisattva Vow: "Being are numberless, I vow to free them." The Budd...