Thursday, October 26, 2006

Life Is Like That

With palms together,
Good Morning All,


The challenge of serene reflection meditation is rather steep. On the surface it appears very easy, just sit still for awhile. Yet, when we make the choice to stop our movement, things seem to happen: an old pain surfaces, an itch develops, an awful thought arises...or a very pleasant one. So just sitting there itself becomes a serious obstacle to what we want, namely, to move.

I recommend not moving.

Serene reflection meditation is not relaxation, nor is it a means of finding bliss. It is not therapeutic and it is not easy. It is hard work requiring your constant attention.

Life is like that.

When we practice living we tend to think of it as easy. Oh, if I were twenty one, no problem! If only I had a better job! Or a college degree! Or a beautiful spouse! Or that nice new car being advertised! Life would be perfect. Then we get these things.

Yes, life is like that.

It requires our constant attention.

Be well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Harvey san, I am having trouble lately sitting for my intended period. I was sitting for a 1/2 hour in the morning, then changed it to 40 mins. but during the last 10 mins now I am bothered by numbness in my legs. is 40 mins at a time worth the discomfort? or I should try getting in the extra time in another shorter session?

also in the evening I do not set a timer. I just sit until i quit. this is usually about 1/2 the length of my morning session. I have had problems nodding out at night. do you recommend a specific length of time per sitting, per day? how do you schedule your zazen?

thank you..

Featured Post

The First Bodhisattva Vow

With palms together, On the First Bodhisattva Vow: "Being are numberless, I vow to free them." The Budd...