Saturday, October 28, 2006

Stumbling Toward Enlightenment

With palms together,
Good Morning All,

With cooler air comes warmer clothes. And often a quicker pace. As a result of my paralysis, I stumble alot, especially if I try to go faster, and even worse if holding anything at all, even something like the mail. Over the years I have developed a sort of love/hate relationship with my disability. On the one hand it is a serious pain in the you know what. On the other hand, it is a valuable and ever present teacher.

Life is like that.

So when I stumble, I mutter something to myself, and depending, it might be addressing that first hand, or that second hand. In either case, I slow done a bit and place my attention on placing my foot, picking up my foot, and the swing of my arms. I also quickly readjust my thinking.

In many ways I am blessed for living the life I have. I think we all are. Each of us lives. It is our special blessing to appreciate our lives as they are.

Be well.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Harvey san, I am having trouble lately sitting for my intended period. I was sitting for a 1/2 hour in the morning, then changed it to 40 mins. but during the last 10 mins now I am bothered by numbness in my legs. is 40 mins at a time worth the discomfort? or I should try getting in the extra time in another shorter session? It might be my new buckwheat brick that is causing my numbness. don't know..

also in the evening I do not set a timer. I just sit until i quit. this is usually about 1/2 the length of my morning session. I have had problems nodding out at night. do you recommend a specific length of time per sitting, per day? how do you schedule your zazen?

Daiho Hilbert-Roshi said...

Hello Jeff, Discipline suggests setting a time and working to stick to it, that makes it part of the practice. I sit in 25 minute periods using kinhin in between. My personal schedule includes an evening practice period. My Zen Center schedule is daily at 7:00 AM, 25 minutes. Wednesday afternoon 25 minutes. Wednesday evening two periods, Sunday morning two periods.
I recommend you return to your 30 minute time and add another period of the same duration at another time during the day.
Cushioning can be very important in terms of circulation. Added height typically helps. In the end, however, each period is what it is and we are present for it. If your legs go to sleep, they will not fall off. And the sensation is just a sensation to experience without engaging. Within reasonable paramiters, set your own standard. Your practice should then be to work within them. Be well.

Anonymous said...

thank you. and you be well yourself. - j

Featured Post

The First Bodhisattva Vow

With palms together, On the First Bodhisattva Vow: "Being are numberless, I vow to free them." The Budd...