Thursday, October 12, 2006

Saving All Beings

With palms together,
Good Morning All,
 
This morning was interesting. Most mornings are, you know.  We are awakened by whatever, in my case a small dog with a wet tongue, and see that it is morning.  We are grateful for awakening and opening our eyes to see clearly.  We set out to save all sentient beings.  OMG!  What a task!
 
Sentient being Numero Uno is myself.  I drive down to the Zendo, light the alter candles, light incense.  Make coffee for breakfast.  I climb onto the Ino's cushion and wait.
 
In comes Zen To, slapping feet on the saltio tile. He is respectful, bows and enters, stands by his seat. No other sentient beings arrive as my watch indicates its time: bell is invited to ring.  Chanting happens. Wood blocks are rhythmically struck. Then abruptly, silence.
 
At the appointed time, the bell is invited to sound again.  More chanting and drumming. Light an incense offering, bow, leave the zendo.
 
Breakfast was simple.  Zen To learned to make pancakes on the griddle.  I poured the coffee.  We ate and talked about Suzuki-roshi's first book.  Just after breakfast two other sentient beings arrive, Revs. Hogaku and Shin Getsu roshi.  They come with a new wooden shoji screen for our Zendo entrance. They bring cinnamon rolls.  I eat one and think about getting fat.
 
Zen To leaves, I make arrangements to meet Rev. Gozen for lunch with the roshis. Three three of us who are left chat a bit about the Zen Center and saving all sentient beings, then I go home to My Little Honey.  It is 9:00 AM.
 
Time for a nap.
 
Be well.
 
 
Team Zen:


Rev. Harvey So Daiho Hilbert, Ph.D. 
May All Beings Be Free From Suffering
On the web at:
 


Want to be your own boss? Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business.

No comments:

Featured Post

The First Bodhisattva Vow

With palms together, On the First Bodhisattva Vow: "Being are numberless, I vow to free them." The Budd...