Monday, January 26, 2009

On Not Getting Stuck

With palms together,
Good Morning Everyone,

This morning I sat in my Zendo and worked through a large portion of the morning prayers Jews recite each morning. I have a CD that a friend made for me that should help me more correctly pronounce the Hebrew. I downloaded it onto my iPhone, but the thing organized the pieces alphabetically. Oh well. I will have to get a CD player or bring my laptop into the Zendo. Anyway, I then sat zazen for one period. I usually do this in reverse, sit Zazen, then do yoga, then review the morning prayers. So it was interesting to see how reciting the prayers prepared me for Zazen which then lead to yoga. It "felt" better. The one downside is that I usually more study the morning blessings than actually recite them, reciting them takes a bit away from that process.

It is a good idea to change up our routines from time to time. Its rather like stretching, teaching us something about pliability. Care must be taken, however, that we don't abandon routine in the process. It is our daily routine, our rituals of the day, that serve as guideposts as the sun traverses the sky.

May we each stay steady on our course.

Be well.

No comments:

Featured Post

The First Bodhisattva Vow

With palms together, On the First Bodhisattva Vow: "Being are numberless, I vow to free them." The Budd...