Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Sitting with Scissors

With palms together,
Good Morning Everyone,

There were five of us last night who braved the chilled evening air to come to the Temple for meditation. It was very good to see Rachel there, and Sam KoKyo, and Patrick, and Colette. We sat in silence and felt the chill in the Temple sanctuary...not as cold as some evenings when I sat streetZen at the Veteran's Park rotunda, but enough to let one know there was little heat.

As we sit, we experience. This is the important thing. We experience without attaching to or investing in, the experience. We experience without desiring to get away from the experience. We just sit with scissors cutting thoughts and letting them float away. Soon, there is no need for scissors.

I am very happy we had an opportunity to practice together.

I read Sam KoKoyo wishes to give me thirty whacks if I say anything. Sipping my coffee, I smile.

I read Dave KoMyo offers me a teaching from His Holiness, the Dalai Lama, and offers as well a fond memory of my friend, Ken.

I read Wen and am taken back to long conversations with Tex Anderson, a Navajo Road Chief on the reservation.

With intimacy comes responsibility to be open and reception to the other. Student KoKyo and I discussed some of this yesterday in dokusan. It all depends on our starting point. When we open our eyes, whose eyes do we see with?

Be well.

No comments:

Featured Post

The First Bodhisattva Vow

With palms together, On the First Bodhisattva Vow: "Being are numberless, I vow to free them." The Budd...