Tuesday, May 18, 2010

From the Ground Up

With palms together,

Good Morning Everyone,



First, thank you Dai Shugyo and Colette for sitting with me yesterday and for watching the film, and for helping with the bookcases. (Late last night I finished the first one and built a second one: one more to go!))



Second, thank you Bobby,Kankin Byrd, for being on Skype last night. I really needed a friend to talk with.



My student, Dai Shugyo, asked yesterday if it was something priests did, this sudden going into Zazenkai. I answered yes.



We used to have a Zazenkai scheduled once a month. I still think it is a good idea, and even a better, a good practice. One thing that happens over time with contemplative practice is that we become far more in touch with the deep, rolling, tides within us. Small shifts open wide.



I notice I am becoming very much more reclusive of late. It is importabt for me to pay attention to this, honor it, and practice with it.



I believe part of it is that I am now alone and need to be alone. In this space I find my heart/mind and allow it to express itself to me. Sometimes a whisper, other times a shout, this heart/mind is becoming my constant companion.



Throughout the day and night, I take a breath and open myself. Feelings and thoughts come and go, as do the bodily sensations that are a part of the everyday experience of living.



Zazenkai offers a short opportunity to pay attention longer and reside in the subtlties in such moments.



And the point? There is no point. It is said:



Spring comes

and the grass

grows by itself.



I choose to be

its witness.


Be well.


Rev. Harvey Daiho Hilbert-Roshi
Order of Clear Mind Zen
Clear Mind Zen Temple
Our Order's Store
Telephone: 575-680-6680
See Roshi's personal Calendar

No comments:

Featured Post

The First Bodhisattva Vow

With palms together, On the First Bodhisattva Vow: "Being are numberless, I vow to free them." The Budd...