Saturday, May 01, 2010

Violence

With palms together,

Good Morning Everyone,



Yesterday’s morning street Zen was a challenge. We sat in the cold wind at Veteran’s Park. For some reason the flags were at half mast. Dai Shugyo and I were not prepared for the cold wind. He left after the first sit. I left in the middle of the second sit. Colette was the trooper, sitting through both.



After the first sit, we chatted a bit about the wind and cold. Dai Shugyo asked about the veteran’s retreat. Colette asked about the veteran’s retreat. I asked myself about the veteran’s retreat. I said a few words, and then could not speak. What happened?



The bell of suffering sang and I began to cry in its wake. My heart held the thousands and thousands of surviving soldiers now facing a lifetime of shit: guilt, sadness, rage, drugs, alcohol, and violence. For the sake of what?



My tears were also for myself. They arose out of the nearly inexpressible rage I have felt the need to bridle over my life. My tears were also for those I have harmed throughout my life because of my exposure to violence in childhood and in the service of my country.



I, we, simply must do better. Violence, the considered need for violence, and the ease with which we go to violence to resolve conflict are poisons. We are a very sick world as a result.



The Buddha taught that the antidote to such poison is compassion. I experience deep compassion for those suffering in and from violence. We have been violent together. We are complicit partners in violence. We support and nurture violence. It is part of living and dying.



Being with suffering, which is the heart of the matter, requires us to be with ourselves then. Opening our hearts to our own suffering, embracing our own weaknesses, failures of conscience, silence in the face of horror, and so on, allows us to care deeply for each other and ourselves.



Doing better means, we cease to do violence in this moment. At the same time, doing better means that we stop supporting violence. We must stop enabling a culture of violence to continue without challenge.



This is challenging as it goes against our grain. It therefore requires a sacred vow, a dedicated commitment to be diligent, and a willingness to suffer change.



Consider enacting our Three Pure Precepts:



I vow to cease doing evil.

I vow to do good.

I vow to bring about abundant good for all beings.



I invite each of you to explore within yourselves your own seeds of violence. I invite you to nurture those seeds in such a way as they become seeds of deep joy and love instead.



Be well.

3 comments:

Angelina O. said...

I vow to cease doing evil.
I vow to do good.
I vow to bring about abundant good for all beings.

Whit Love

Koan Resuelto said...

Wise words Roshi. We must heal this world of the violence...

With palms together...

raymond said...

Yes. Wise words indeed. Thank you.

Raymond.

Featured Post

The First Bodhisattva Vow

With palms together, On the First Bodhisattva Vow: "Being are numberless, I vow to free them." The Budd...