Saturday, August 21, 2010

Moment to Moment

With palms together,


Good Morning Everyone,



Change is our essential nature. Everything we think we know is incorrect by the time we know it. I am surprised at how much we tend to resist this fact. Just what do we think we would do if we could hold on to something and not have it change, and thus by definition, slip away? One thing seems certain: boredom would be a prominent feature.



So, while the nature of things is change, our brain builds a picture of an aggregate and holds on tightly to that picture. It is our brain that makes something something. The red cup I am sipping my morning coffee from came from the Panda Exhibit at the Memphis Zoo. I got it on a trip to see my daughter and grandson. It is special to me. Yet, as every day passes, so does its ability to retain itself. Moreover, its meaning shifts as my daughter and I are in opposing corners waiting for the bell to ring.



We want very much to hold onto an image of something rather than the thing itself, as we know (I think intuitively) everything changes.



Our practice is a straight up, moment-to-moment, appreciation, and letting go practice. Through this practice, we come to not only see, but actualize change. In this actualization is the heart of stillness we have come to call serene reflection.



May we practice this serenity in every breath.



Be well.

No comments:

Featured Post

The First Bodhisattva Vow

With palms together, On the First Bodhisattva Vow: "Being are numberless, I vow to free them." The Budd...