Sunday, September 19, 2010

Peace

With palms together,


Good Morning Everyone,



This morning was another early riser. I am now sipping coffee after washing dishes and putting some things away. I read my morning email, but have not, as yet, replied. Some silence and reflection first.



Today is a busy day: son Jason will complete the condo move (two pieces of furniture and a mattress) while I lead morning services at the Temple and this evening I will facilitate a roundtable discussion on the meaning of peace at the First Presbyterian Church on Boutz Road here in Las Cruces. This will be followed by an interfaith musical celebration for peace.



In preparing a bit for the discussion this evening I took a look at two sources: the Oxford English Dictionary (OED) and Thich Nhat Hahn’s text, Creating True Peace. Nhat Hahn is an excellent role model for peaceful living: reflective, thoughtful, compassionate, and willing to look deeply into situations to see their true nature. The OED points out that peace has a plethora of meanings and applications. Most of them are about “freedom from” something. The OED offers six domains, all but one derived from a sense of freedom from something. The first five relate to freedom from hostilities, disorder, and disturbance. The last is phrased as an absence of noise, movement, or activity. Offered up a quote from Harriet Beecher Stowe, “The greatest destroyer of domestic peace is discourtesy.”



The thing about peace is that while most of us want it, few can agree on it. I believe this is due to one simple fact: peace is defined as freedom from disturbance, including mental, emotional, and spiritual disturbance. We human beings have a hard time with this. What other people think, feel, believe, and do, disturbs us. The thing is, we blame them for our disturbance.



As a therapist, I would so often hear things like, “she makes me so mad!” or “he drives me crazy!” When the truth is, no one came make us anything: we make ourselves, which is to say, we disturb ourselves. No one likes to hear that. We all want to hold someone or something responsible for our distress. Anyone or anything but ourselves and our own situation.



When I was 19 I was a killer, literally. I hated my enemy, the Viet Cong, the People’s Army of Viet Nam, the RPGs, the punji stakes, and the children selling their mothers and sisters, and did my best to destroy them all. Their very being disturbed me. I did not understand they were me and I was them. Then, after being shot and returning home, the definition of the moral situation changed. In the mid eighties, I returned to Viet Nam and met my enemy. We sat across tables and threw back shots of cheap Russian vodka. We exchanged pictures of our families. I experienced their poverty and their pride. It was a humbling experience. My heart was opening.

Peace, then, to become manifest, requires us to hold ourselves responsible for our own tranquility. The Zen way is the way of serene reflection. It is the way of making a space between perception, thought, feeling, and behavior and residing there. It is the way of seeing the deep, interconnected nature of all things in all places and all times.



To be peace I must just be peace and allowing all disturbances the freedom to fall away. As student Shoji pointed out, the thing is in the doing, not the thinking.



Be well.

No comments:

Featured Post

The First Bodhisattva Vow

With palms together, On the First Bodhisattva Vow: "Being are numberless, I vow to free them." The Budd...