Sunday, March 20, 2011

A Peaceful Nation

With palms together,




Good Afternoon Everyone,







This morning we woke in good time, a few stretches (I wouldn’t call it yoga) a few reps of the dumbbells (I wouldn’t call it a weight workout) and a trip to the Temple to don the vestments, open the service, sit Zazen and then leave to join Rev. Gozen-sensei, my former disciple, as he gave Shukke Tokudo to one of his disciples, Rev. Kim Vajramanas Pries. After the festivities, we regrouped at the International Delights Deli for a wonderful lunch. Rev. Dai Shugyo completed the service in my stead at the Temple and Dharma Teacher Zen Shin offered a talk. Afterwards, Soku Shin and I took Suki for a walk in the desert, albeit, a short walk, as MY DOGS are tired and still sore. Now resting, I have some time to write to you.







The wars of the United States seem to keep increasing, all very legitimate I am given to understand, yet wars, none-the-less. I am wondering where our resolve to find peaceful solutions to conflict went. What? Oh, excuse me, you’re right, there was never any such resolve. Must be all in my mind, but I thought our president was elected to bring an end to this nonsense. I must be mistaken, as there seems no real end in sight and now we have joined with other nations to fight another war.



Maybe I am just getting old, but frankly, this is such old news. Here's the deal, I will be conned no more. I was born shortly after the conclusion of World War Two. So, I just researched our war efforts since I was born. Since then, we have been involved in the Korean war, the Vietnam war, and the following “operations”:







1. Operation Urgent Fury-Grenada (1983)



2. Operation Just Cause-Panama (1989)



3. Operation Desert Storm-Iraq (January and February 1991)



4. Operation Restore Hope-Somalia (1993)



5. Operations in Europe-Bosnia (1990's)



6. Operation Enduring Freedom-Afghanistan (2001-present)



7. Operation Iraqi Freedom-Iraq (2003-present)





And now, Libya. (for a very detailed and eye-opening index of US Military operations, see this link. I feel sad for us. We have been led to believe for so long that we are a peaceful, peace-loving nation, but the record speaks for itself. For me to consider us a peaceful nation at any time in the future, I will need to see evidence that we can actually live in peace. I think I will be dying long before that ever happens. Until then, let’s be peaceful and peace-loving individuals, communities, and even cities.







I will be resuming my Peace Witness Vigils on Monday and Friday mornings at the Veteran’s Park tomorrow. In addition, I believe I will begin again to sit for peace at the Federal Building in downtown Las Cruces on Wednesday afternoons at 4:00 PM.







Please consider joining me.







Be well, be peace.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

On Friday in the uk we were told about "a mandate for a no-fly zone".

On Saturday I saw some anti-war protesters and wondered why thy bothered, what difference it would make.

On Sunday I find out that we seem to be at war with Libya, blowing stuff up, bombing targets, shooting down jets.

Every time I see politicians sign someone else up for a fighti wonder about the cost for the people who do the work and don't return home or return home 'different'.

Maybe protest is futile, but maybe it helps. I no longer feel it's so pointless, so crackpot.

Featured Post

The First Bodhisattva Vow

With palms together, On the First Bodhisattva Vow: "Being are numberless, I vow to free them." The Budd...