Monday, February 08, 2010

Holiness

With palms together,
Good Morning Everyone,

The morning moon is stunning against a black sky the fullness of which takes my breath away. Standing on the edge of darkness has that effect.

Darkness gets a bad rep. I remember a moment in childhood standing on the edge of an ocean. I could not see a thing. But I could feel. That vast expanse of emptiness is deep. I remember feeling awestruck.

As a child I did a dance both loving and fearing this vast darkness. As an adult, I know that we spend our lives trying to avoid it or meekly throw light at it or pretend it isn’t what it is. Open mystery.

Turn off your lights and go outside in the dark. Walk under the trees, under the stars, and open your heart to the universe. It is there to accept you.

Holiness is on such an edge. It is the point between light and dark, the edge of awareness, where taking any step with throw you off balance and into seeming oblivion. If you know it, it is not it, you must know it as a deep and abiding part of you.

Like a warm enfolding blanket, the Infinite embraces. It’s no wonder we humans love our robes be they simple shawls, tallit, or kesas. We wrap ourselves with the edge of holiness, and reside in wonder.

Be well

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've always loved the dark, even as a kid.. Do you take your own photos? They have been really nice lately. The picture of you and the boys sitting outside on a chilly morning is my fave. I was a little sad when you took it down.. :)

And I appreciated this;
"When everything is sacred, nothing is".. I think the opposite might be true too.

Daiho Hilbert-Roshi said...

Hello, I take most of my own photos, like the one currently "up", but the oneyou asked about was taken by Robert Yee, an Independent Film Maker.

Featured Post

The First Bodhisattva Vow

With palms together, On the First Bodhisattva Vow: "Being are numberless, I vow to free them." The Budd...