Thursday, February 11, 2010

A Question

With palms together,

Good Morning Everyone,



As some of you might know I am just completing a two year course of study with Rabbi Citrin at Temple Beth El in Las Cruces. The program, called "Journeys", explored historical, liturgical, theological, and personal issues surrounding Judaism and its practices. I am now knee deep in writing a paper to complete the program. A reader of my blog at Tricycle asked me a question and I thought I would take some time this morning to address it. The question was:



Hello Roshi , please I am curious how the mix of being a Buddhist priest and a Jewish lay teacher/student works ?



This is at once both a complex and simple question. There are those in both faith traditions who would argue that it does not work. They might be hooked on their tradition, unwilling to see more deeply what the aim is, or they might fear competing agendas, and so on. On the other hand, there are many who have viewed my effort with curiosity, appreciation, and even gratitude.



Contemplative practices have much in common and every faith tradition has a tradition of contemplative practice. It happens that in Zen and Judaism, thee are so very many parallels and points of agreement that synchronicity is not such a problem as it might be in other blends.



Mystical Judaism, through the teachings of kabbalists and the Hasidim, posit a view of God that is as nearly identical to Zen's view of Big Mind as is possible. Meditation has been traced to Jewish ancestors back to and including Abraham. And in both cases, the practice is the focus, not the beliefs.



I have found that each inform and deepen the other. One tills the soil, as the other plants seeds, one nurtures, the other reaps, one bakes, the other feasts, and in the end, manifestation of holiness. A holiness not holier than thou, but a holiness that reveals the sacred nature of all things.



People seem very interested in learning. I have taught very well attended classes in Jewish Spirituality, Kabbalah, Mussar,and conduct two weekly meditation periods at the Temple. The congregation, initially suspicious, has warmly accepted me over the years and I was even elected to the Board of Directors.



The Zen world has had a little more difficulty, I think. For one, most people's understanding of Judaism is quite shallow, even erroneous. Stereotypes prevail in both cases and these offer both practice opportunities and teaching moments.



For me personally, the path has been torturous as I am just a tad too serious. Prone to go black and white, I cut off my nose despite my face at times. Engaging however, in the torture is essential to deepening our faith, whether its faith in the Everything or faith in a practice.



As a result I have come to deeply appreciate the truth of the statement that there are many windows in the mansion of the Infinite. And great wisdom in letting go of our grasp of idols regardless of who made them and what they point to.



Be well.

No comments:

Featured Post

The First Bodhisattva Vow

With palms together, On the First Bodhisattva Vow: "Being are numberless, I vow to free them." The Budd...