Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Mokusho Dharma Center

With palms together,
Good Morning Everyone,

This morning brings a coldish, wet chill to the desert. I woke and closed the windows and am now sitting in the dining area writing to you before I take my seat in the zendo.

At the Omega Institute, I found a lovely statue of Manjushri, the Bodhisattva of Wisdom. He is about ten inches in height, intricately detailed, and has a fine sword at high noon, ready to cut through delusion.

I have been looking for such a statue for years, literally. Manjushri is the bodhisattva of choice for zendos. However, he is hard to find at a reasonable price. Several benefactors stepped up to assist me this month. There was an anonymous patron of Anshin who made dozens of scholarships to Omega Institute available; there was an anonymous patron in El Paso who donated cash, several Sangha members donated smaller sums, and a generous benefactor here in Las Cruces donated to Clear Mind Zen. Thanks to these generous benefactors, I was both able to attend the Costs of War retreat and purchase this statue for the zendo. I am grateful to everyone.

My Dharma Grandfather, Soyu Matsuoka-roshi, wrote:
"...one should know the Living Zen in which one puts their whole self. In this Living or "Mokusho Zen,” one does not confine their Zen life to merely reading, discussion, writing or poetry, expecting enlightenment every day of their life to descend upon them from mysterious realms. Instead. one finds it in one's daily life, no matter where they may be" The Kyosaku, pp 134-135.

At Omega, Anshin gave me good counsel. He suggested I do what I do. What is that? I practice by making myself available to you. I bear witness to the suffering caused by violence. Finally, I offer teachings of practices that enable a peaceful life to be lived.

To that end, I have decided to establish a Dharma Center here in Las Cruces. This center will be the headquarters of the Order of Clear Mind Zen and will act as a practice center, training center, and a refuge. I will call it Mokusho Dharma Center.

If you are interested in supporting the establishment of our headquarters practice center, please do so through our Order’s website. I cannot do this alone.

Be well.

No comments:

Featured Post

The First Bodhisattva Vow

With palms together, On the First Bodhisattva Vow: "Being are numberless, I vow to free them." The Budd...