Sunday, January 27, 2008

Change

Good Morning Everyone,
 
In life it is always a good idea to be open to your actual experience.  We tend to live in our thoughts so much that we are really not as open as we could be.  The result is a constant strain to keep things from changing.  An impossible task, of course, as life itself is constant change.  But if we live in our thoughts, the real, actual world does not have an opportunity to present itself as it is.  This is very sad because if we keep things from changing, against the natural order of things, then we live in death itself.
 
As I write to you this morning, for example, I sit with Pete-kitty on my right and Tripper, the cockapoo, on my left.  Both are sleeping, but in close proximity to me in the middle. The coffee is ready.  I have to go to my cushion shortly. And in just two sentences I am not sitting here with you.  Did you notice?
 
This is important because we live in relationship either to others or to our physical world.  When we cut ourselves off from the living nature of our relationships we die.
 
Life is like that, so our vigilance toward living awake must be constant and real.  We should check ourselves with nearly every breath.  It is in every breath that we create ourselves.
 
On a personal note: The last couple of days have been a bit of a challenge.  My Little Honey is not well.  She has a chest cold and nagging cough that has resulted in a very irritated throat.  I hope she wakes this morning feeling a little better today.  We have had to cancel things and she cannot teach religious school this morning at the Temple. Neither of us get sick very often, but when we do, geeez, its a lulu. Son Jason came through his heart procedure nicely and my mother has returned home from the rehab center.  Also, it seems one of two expecting nieces delivered her baby yesterday!
 
Life is change, indeed.
 
Be well.


 
Rev. Dr. So Daiho Hilbert-roshi 


Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.

No comments:

Featured Post

The First Bodhisattva Vow

With palms together, On the First Bodhisattva Vow: "Being are numberless, I vow to free them." The Budd...