Tuesday, January 08, 2008

A Cold Wind

Good Morning Everyone,
 
Our car is repaired and we got it back last night just before Zen Judaism and just after streetZen.  I am personally relieved. Being without a vehicle for nearly two weeks was a considerable stressor for this retired couple.
 
streetZen was a challenge yesterday afternoon. The day was windy and as the sun went down so did the temperatures.  The result was that we sat in a very cold sustained wind in the 30 mph range. I wrapped myself in my serape, but it was billowing during the first sitting period.  During the second period I wrapped it around my head and tucked the front under my knees so as to hold it down.
 
Rev. Zento sat with me.  It was good to have him there.
 
As I sat there I remembered one night in 1964 when I stood guard duty in the dead of winter in Germany. It was so cold the tears from my eyes froze on my face. Of course I was 17 at the time and thought I was God's gift to soldering, but those thoughts were little comfort against the cold.  Still, they got me through that night.
 
Sitting last night in the cold desert wind I thought of the Buddha sitting himself alone in the forests of India. Nothing but a robe or two layered on his body. Yet, he sat in serene reflection. Goodness, I have much practice ahead of me, I can tell you that!
 
As those thoughts arose last night, I would let them go and place my attention back on my breath.  I resorted to counting, which helped my concentration in the wind, and left me in the end, partners with the elements.
 
May we walk together in peace and harmony.
 
Be well.
 
 


 
Rev. Dr. So Daiho Hilbert-roshi 


Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage.

No comments:

Featured Post

The First Bodhisattva Vow

With palms together, On the First Bodhisattva Vow: "Being are numberless, I vow to free them." The Budd...