Friday, January 18, 2008

The Small Things

Good Morning Everyone,
 
Life is good.  This morning's power outage made an impression on me.  When we are at our Refuge in the mountains we have no power outages, period (due to our own, reliable, solar power system, and there is always heat through the woodburning cookstove or propane furnace.  As we rose early this morning and wanted coffee, though, the percolator refused to work without electric. Imagine that.  In the mountains, we would simply get the cookstove going and shortly we would have our coffee and tea.
 
Lessons: Always have matches available, candles, and flashlights with batteries. Have a small propane campstove available to heat water for coffee and tea. And always have a battery operated radio available to find out what's going on.
 
My matches were not in my drawer.  My flashlight was emptied of batteries in an attempt a few weeks ago to get a tape recorder to work, and we left our propane campstove in the mountains.
 
Fortunately, my memory is sometimes in good repair, especially in the morning so I was able to find, in the dark, a book of matches, a small flashlight and my Itty-Bitty Booklight (which actually had batteries in it!).
 
So, live in the moment, live by your wits, and be grateful for the small things in life.
 
Be well. 
 


 
Rev. Dr. So Daiho Hilbert-roshi 


Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage.

No comments:

Featured Post

The First Bodhisattva Vow

With palms together, On the First Bodhisattva Vow: "Being are numberless, I vow to free them." The Budd...